Open to the campus and Williamsburg communities:
LOIS MARIE GIBBS, Executive Director, Center for Health, Environment and Justice
Listen to the full talk (audio only): “Thirty Years after Love Canal: What Have We Learned, and Where Do We Go From Here: How to Educate the Public on the Love Canals of Today”
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Place: Tucker Hall, 120
Ms. Gibbs’ experience at Love Canal woke up the nation to the seriousness of chemical pollution and led to the passage of federal legislation, called the Superfund, which funded the cleanup of other Love Canals.
The Department of Sociology,
The Roy R. Charles Center,
The Mercury sGIG, and
The Dean of Faculty of Arts and Sciences Lecture Funding
A William and Mary group will be in China from May 31 to June 12: Prof. Mike Newman, Prof. Sharon Zuber, VIMS graduate student, Erica Holloman, and undergraduates Liz Budrionis, Bert Cortina, and Will Sealy.
中国访问行程表：Itinerary for china Trip:
Friday, May 30, 2008 Leave U.S.
Sat., May 31 Arrive Beijing
Sunday, June 1 Beijing
六月1日 周日 游览北京
Monday, June 2 Beijing
六月2日 周一 游览北京
Tuesday, June 3 AM：Beijing to Wuhan flight
PM: Visit Campus (including Labs of College of Life Science)
六月3日 周二 上午 北京飞往武汉
Wednesday, June 4 Wuhan
AM: Attend Xiong Li’s class 10:00-11:40 room 8205(biochemistry, undergraduate)
PM: visit Hubei Provincial Museum and East Lake
六月4日 周三 上午 参加熊丽的生物化学课堂10:00-11:40 room 8205
Thursday, June 5 Wuhan
All day Field trip to Eco-project Sites (Institute of Hydrobiology,Chinese Academy of Sciences)
六月5日 周四 全天参观中科院水生所863项目
Friday, June 6 Wuhan
AM: visit Yellow Crane Tower and Yangze River Beach
PM: Bus trip to Yichang (4 hours)
六月6日 周五 上午 参观黄鹤楼和江滩
Saturday, June 7 Three Gorges
六月7日 周六 三峡
Sunday, June 8 Three Gorges (PM: Bus trip to Wuhan)
六月8日 周日 三峡
Monday, June 9 Wuhan
AM:English Department/ Film Making class/history class (informal or formal visiting??) (group talk or personal talk??)
PM: Visit Institute of Hubei Fishery (Prof. Wang Liang)
Dinner with Prof. Wang etc.
六月9日 周一 上午 英语系、电教系，历史系访问
Tuesday, June 10 Wuhan
AM: Xiong Li’s Ecotoxicology class,10:00-11:40 room 5301
PM: Michael’s Lecture ( group discussion) 2:30-4:00 room 5301
Shopping and dinner out
六月10日 周二 上午 参加熊丽的生态毒理学课堂10:00-11:40 room 5301
下午 MIKE做报告2:30-4:00 room 5301
Wednesday, June 11 Wuhan
AM: visit Biji Dolphin Aquarium ??/ Sewage treatment plant??
PM: Wuhan trip final meeting
[Newman to Guangzhou/Hong Kong; return morning of 16th]
六月11日 周三 上午 参观白鳍豚馆或污水处理厂
Thursday, June 12 Fly to Beijing/ Beijing to U.S.
六月12日 周四 武汉飞北京 北京飞美国
Friday, June 13 Arrive US
六月12日 周四 武汉飞北京 北京飞美国
Visiting scholars/students from Wuhan China: February 18 to March 1.
Reception in the Reves Center on Thursday, Feb. 21 – 6:00-7:00.
Students: major biochemistry and molecular biology/ minor ecotoxicology
1. Hu Qinqin is working on using monoclonal antibodies to detect the pesticides in food (vegetables, rice, etc.)
2. Xia Wei is working on how the pesticide (cypermethrine) affects the biochemical indexes of fish
3. Xu Xiaoyu is working on the nano-material’s negative effects on the environment
4. Prof. Wang Liang is the director of the detection center of fresh water hydra-culture products (fish,crabs,shrimp,etc) for food safety.
5. Prof. Xiong Li teaches ecotoxicology in the Dept. of Biology, Central China Normal University, Wuhan.
Monday, Feb. 18
• Arrive Richmond Airport at 10:53pm, Continental Airlines, Flight: 2338
[Sharon will pick up using the Reves van.]
• Rooms reserved at the Williamsburg Hospitality House for 2/18 through the night of 2/27. 415 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185 | (757) 229-4020 | (757) 220-1560 Fax
• Beginning 2/19, meal tickets will provide access to meals for participants on campus.
Tuesday, Feb. 19
• Meet with Mike Newman’s Fundamentals of Ecotoxicology Class, 9:30 – 10:50 in Millington 117 [Introductions to Bert, Liz, Will who may meet with the students and Erica Holloman sometime in the afternoon]
• Time to tour W&M campus on own
Wednesday, Feb. 20 [Reves Van]
• Morning at VIMS, tour and meeting with interested scientists/students
• Lunch in Gloucester
• Afternoon trip to Newport News guided by Erica Holloman
• Evening: 7:00-8:30 Lecture in Small 113, Seminar on Campus Sustainability, Mark Orloweki, Executive Director of the Sustainable Endowments Institute
Thursday, Feb. 21
• Meet with Mike Newman’s Fundamentals of Ecotoxicology Class, 9:30 – 10:50 in Millington 117 [Bert, Liz, Will, and Erica – lunch with Mike in the UC?]
• 6:00-7:00 Reception in the Reves Center for Guests, Mercury Core – open to other students and interested people
• Dinner at the Chinese restaurant near K-Mart
Friday, Feb. 22
• 11:00 – 3:30: Jamestown/Craney Island and Biology lab with Dan Cristol [Use Keck Lab van]
Saturday, Feb. 23
• Day Passes to tour Colonial Williamsburg [Student Guide from Reves Center for one hour]
• Meet with Chinese House students?
Sunday, Feb. 24
• Shopping at the Outlet Malls in Williamsburg in the afternoon, 1:00
[Van from Reves]
Monday, Feb. 25
• All-day Field Trip to the Eastern Shore [Keck van]
Tuesday, Feb. 26th
• Meet with Mike Newman’s Fundamentals of Ecotoxicology Class, 9:30 – 10:50 in Millington 117 – Presentations by Chinese students and discussion. Continue to shape plan for one-credit project with Bert, Liz, Will [Invite Maria Ivanova’s 9:30 class.]
• 11:00 – 12:30 Meet with Maria Ivanova’s Class [need room]
• 6:00 – Meet with Elizabeth Mead’s class and tour the studio
Wednesday, Feb. 27th
• Attend Kris Lane’s History Class (lecture focusing on use of mercury in mining)—11:00 in Blair 229
• Evening: 7:00-8:30 Lecture in Small 113, Seminar on Campus Sustainability, Bruce Vaughan, Vice President for Operations, Virginia Wesleyan University.
Thursday, Feb. 28th
• 6:30 am Amtrak to D.C.
• Rooms at L’Enfant Plaza for two nights.
Friday, Feb. 29th
• Tour D.C. on own
Saturday, Mar. 1
• 9:00 departure from National Airport
Contact information and Mercury Core:
Sharon Zuber, firstname.lastname@example.org; Office, Tucker B-6, 221-3939; Cell: 804-694-9567
Dan Cristol, email@example.com; Office, Millington
Mike Newman, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kris Lane, History
Elizabeth Mead, Art and Art History
Monica Griffin, Sharpe Program, Sociology
Kelly Joyce, Sociology
Erica Holloman, VIMS
Troy Davis, Media Center